|Frame and new seal|
First, before doing anything, I thoroughly cleaned the seal to remove any strange coatings left over from the manufacturing process. Then, after spraying the lip of the seal with water with a few drops of dish-washing detergent to use as a lubricant, I aligned the slots for the hinges, and started pushing the top, inside edge of the seal into the slot on the frame.
Next, it is a matter of going around the frame and carefully working in that top, inside edge all the way along one side and into the corners...
Then flipping it over and pushing in with your thumbs along the other edge.
Finally, everything is in place:
The hard part comes next--coaxing the hinges through the small slot in the seal. I lubricated the slot and the hinge with a bit of WD-40. Lots of wriggling and swearing, but the finally got them through.
|This part takes the most time. Those new seals are really stubborn.|
Once through, align one of the outer holes, clamp with vice grips, and run a rivet through it. Although the originals were blind rivets, nobody will ever see that I used pop rivets (steel so no issues with dissimilar metals.)
And the hinge side complete:
Next, you have to rivet the latch to the frame. Again I used steel rivets, but forgot to take a picture (I'm out of practice!)
A few stainless steel screws, and job done.